2.11.2011

happy birthday dad {old post from 2008, cut + pasted}

Today is my dad's Birthday!
I wanted to dedicate this post to him on his special day as part of his gift.
There isn't one person I know that knows my father that doesn't JUST ADORE him!
My dad is a one-of-a kind.
He is so special to me.

One of the many things I admire about my dad is how he treats my mom. He is such a great husband and has always been.Whenever my mom needed something, he was right there to help her. He is always affectionate to her in front of us kids and through all of my mom's numerous surgeries, my dad pulled through while getting his MBA and commuting from Carlsbad to Irvine to work everyday. He is an incredible example of what a father and husband should be.I am so grateful for my dad's example especially because my brother Mitch is a great husband + father in his own family.
For those of you that haven't had the full VICTOR experience, allow me to introduce to you some of his favorite things and then some....
1. DIET COKE: (it use to be regular as of a couple years ago)
- If he is home, the diet coke must be in the freezer for :45 minutes, so that it is slushy. Keep in mind the tall glass is joining the can in the freezer to make the experience even better.
- If my dad is ordering a diet coke, whether it be at a drive-thru, a causal place or a restaurant he is always very diligent in explaining how the ice must be in the glass. Not half full but about 1/3 full (fingers rasied so they can see the proper measurement) to the top of ice with the rest Diet Coke. Refills are on average 2-3 in one sitting - easy.
2. WALL STREET JOURNAL:
- Every morning he must read the WSJ. Without fail. Usually he will quote an article to at least one-two people throughout the day of something interesting he read or he will cut out an article or two for someone he is thinking about that it applies to. Without fail, there is a yellow sticky note on the article.
3. POLITICS:
- My dad is always involved in local and White House politics. I remember when I was in high school and the marriage prop 122 came out, he rallied his friends in a pick-up truck he rented to place "NO Against Prop 122" Signs all over Southern Orange County.
- We all know Mitt Romney has been consuming his extra time lately. It use to all be about the Blog BlOg bLoG. Now it's about the race for president but it is over luckily.
4. SURFING:
- He has been doing this since he was a little boy. He is a great surfer and it brings him so much joy. It helps him
release any stress and he loves it! I remember growing up how he taught me how to surf before I knew how to swim.

5. PHOTOGRAPHY:
- One of my dad's favorite passions is Photography. He took a class at BYU back in the day and has developed a natural talent for it.

Some things I love about my Dad...
My Dad is great. He's always running around, being a part of us Lundquist kid's lives. I remember him always making it to every dance recital, dance competition, every church event or shows. Always being so supportive and then complementarity after even if I messed up a duet in front of hundreds of people!
... so supportive.
Something I love that my dad did is he began taking me on "Daddy-Daughter-Dates" since I can remember. He would open my door, take me to my favorite place for dinner and then usually a movie or Thrifty's ice cream. From this example, I am reminded of how important I felt when I was with him on these dates. As I grew older and these dates became cheesier, I look back and think how lucky I am to have a father that taught me how I should always be treated on a date.
One of my fondest childhood memories is of my dad taking Mitch and I and sometimes Elise to the Dana Point jetti every Sunday. We would hike the jetti there and back. My dad would always fill me up with so much confidence as I was stumbling all over the rocks and tell me I was great. He told me I could do anything.

Dad is also a great chef at two things... Tuna Sandwiches and Pancakes. Although lately he thinks using Olive Oil over vegetable oil is better in Pancakes... I'm working with him on this one.
Vic/Vicky is known to correct us kids on proper Grammar. 
He puts Salt on EVERYTHING. Even watermelon.


A few weeks ago, I sent an email out to some close friends and family, asking if they wanted to contribute to this blog post. Here are a few pictures and responses...

(email from one of his best friends - who I thought was my uncle growing up)
Melissa, 
Here's a blackmail pic of so
rts with your dad "hitting the bottle" on our cruise. "What goes on in the ocean ... stays in the ocean". 
Ha!
 
Kevin






(email from Aunt Linda Lundquist)



The only thing I can think of is the first Thanksgiving I spent with Rex's family. Gary, Vic, Kelly, Nana, Papa, Rex, myself, and I don't remember if anyone else was there or not. Vic was 9 years old. In the middle of the dinner he asked me out loud in front of all the relatives, if I was going to marry his uncle Rex. Obviously, he hadn't asked me yet. All I could think to say is "Well, we'll have to wait and see". After everyone had a big laugh, and the blush went away we continued with a great dinner.
Love,
Aunt Linda & Uncle Rex



(email from my mom's sister Stephanie) 



Because we only see your dad every couple of years, we can put our memories of him into "era's". The Top Gun era where he was convinced he was Tom Cruise's double with black jacket and glasses. The John F. Kennedy and Chappaquidick eras when he was determined to "find the truth", his "Sports nuts" time and now of course, he is in the Mitt Romney era. We love your dad's enthusiasm and focus on the things he is passionate about!

Once he told us of a "hormone chart" he made for his daughters. I don't remember the variables for this chart, but it was so funny that your dad would put that together!
I hope this helps.
love, 
Stephanie



(Email from our good friend Su Billings)


We laughed at Vics “24” obsession. I’ll never forget walking in and seeing him watch one of his first episodes with the couch pushed up maybe 2 feet from the TV. His eyes were wide and he was hooked!




(email from Kim Devine ... Mitch's Wife Lindsay's sister. She is like our sister)




Shortly after Lindsay and Mitch had been married, the Lundquist's came over for a classic devine/Lundquist family gathering. After a couple hours, Victor maybe got a little restless and insisted that i go with him to take a spin in his new BMW. So i accepted and after he floored it on freeway entrance , surpassing speeds of a 100 mph, he then insisted that i too, give it a whirl and drive her home. With an already bad reputation for driving and a not so pristine history, as a 19 year old, i hesitated the chance of climbing behind the wheel of his new pet. But he of course urged me further, so i gave in. As i drove cautiously home, he egged me on, to go faster and try out her power, teasing me for being a slow driver. I'll never forget this evening with Victor. I love his passion for life and for all in it that catches his attention, as he runs with it. I love him as a good friend, a sincere human being, a wonderful father and an example of faith and courage. Happy Birthday Victor to a dear friend, an inspiring individual and my Buddy.
Love Kimmi


Dad,
Happy Birthday! I look forward to dinner and U2 Imax tonight! We all hope it's a special day for you. I love you.
Love Always,
M xxxx



--
Posted By Just for Melissa to Melly Mel + Jack at 2/11/2008 12:34:00 PM

0 lovely notes:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Frame by Pixels and Ice Cream
Edits by Danyell