3.10.2010

top three author

a few months ago i read this book 

i have to say it was one of my favorite reads.  i usually don't blog or talk about many books but as many of you know i am passionate about prevention of cancer, eating healthfully and natural healing but hopefully i'm not too excessive about it.

this author was introduced to me when i saw his movie "everything is illuminated" years ago.  the book is so detailed and even better than the movie.. and i loved the movie.  he is completely compassionate, very thoughtful as well as logical in his writing.  when i read his words, i believe him without any amount of distrust as well as the way he sucks you in... turning each page after page.  his grandmother was a holocust survivor and has very familiar traditions she does with him that i felt comfortable with.  

he doesn't shove eating animals down your throat.  he talks about eating food in the direction of being a father.  he became a father and wanted to understand why his son revolved his life around eating.  his goes to so many animal farms all over the world and finds out every custom and culture.  it's so interesting.  like one state and maybe it was a country beats dogs to death so their adreniline flows through their body before they die makes the meat taste different (i think that was hawaii).

we eat 100 times more chicken as we use to in our culture than we did 30 years ago.  he talks about the meals that don't really matter that we don't need to add meat to it. maybe i enjoy this book so much because i have similar views.  i agree each meal is not necessary to include meat to it.  i believe vegetables should be the majority, fruit should be the dessert and one starch a day if wanted... healthy grains if you can digest them and the rest is sort of "blah blah."

page 266 he describes thanksgiving turkey... the journey he talks about how no animal should go through a life without love.  when he talks about cage-free birds, doesn't mean they lived in tight space.  if they are free-range, doesn't mean much.  you have to have both.  it almost needs to say, "was grown in a family farm, with love" to know that your meat was produced well and not treated in poor conditions.  i sound like such a tree-hugger.  i eat meat now once in a while so maybe i even sound like a hypocrite, but i am glad my eyes have been opened and my mind has been educated from a man who did his homework.  i feel like i have cheated for not doing it on my own but am grateful for this information jonathon gathered.  i am not going to hug turkeys or kiss my meat before biting into it, but i am going to appreciate it a little more or when i purchase it from the store, i will be more educated with what the difference is.

anyway, i happened to turn on ellen today and saw this so it made me want to blog about it now.  you should so read it even if you eat mcdonalds everyday.  tell me what you think.

4 lovely notes:

elise lauren photography said...

the oatmeal is not okay because it's made in a factory where wheat is processed... if you eat and your fine, i'm not so sure you have it...?? maybe you're just lactose intolerant.

Autumn Fauver said...

Thanks for this post! I found your blog through busybeelauren not long ago & I love your posts. after I became pregnant I gained allot of weight and it did horrible things for my body. I did not eat well either. I had high blood pressure and preclampsia when I was prego and it just made me feel sick allot of the time. I really want to try eating more natural foods whole foods because I believe it will help me to feel healthy agian. but I'm such a greenie when it comes to eating really well, do you have any advice for me to maybe help me get started on the right foot?

jenn (+ will) said...

thanks for sharing! looks awesome.

robyn said...

oh my gosh don't even get me started about food. i can't believe i haven't read this book yet. i am so passionate about food - can't wait to dive in. p.s. i don't know if i'll ever ever ever be able to stomach the idea of my children eating mc donalds... they might hate me. ugh.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Frame by Pixels and Ice Cream
Edits by Danyell